A lovely vegetarian dish
: Maria Mitchell
Recipe type: Dinner
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated
- 4-5 courgettes
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Basil leaves to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and slice the courgettes into length ways into strips about 1cm thick.
- In a bowl mix together the chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, and orange pepper, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Layer the courgettes and tomato mixture into a large casserole then slow bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and tope with the cheddar cheese and return to the oven for a further 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has golden and melted.
- Allow to the baked courgettes to rest for 10 minutes, top with basil then serve from the oven dish with a choice of breads or salad.