Breakfast is one meal where it can be difficult to find healthy, quick options. Most shop bought breakfast cereals are laden with sugar and hold little nutritional value, even the so called healthy options have high amounts of sugar as well as being expensive.
We love granola in our house and I tried this recipe out with things I had in the cupboard. I was amazed at how easy and tasty it was, even my fussy 6 year old asked for seconds, so that is definitely a seal of approval. Packed with nuts and seeds this is a protein fuelled breakfast to keep them going till lunch time. The cacao and honey give a hint of sweetness.
Here is the recipe I used but feel free to add in other things, coconut, dried apricots, raisins, the possibilities are endless! I serve this with Greek yoghurt or milk and blueberries.
- 3 cups of mixed nuts
- 1 cup of chia seeds
- 1 cup of mixed seeds
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Place the nuts, seeds and banana chips in a processor, pulse until finely chopped
- Add to the raw cacao and chia seeds and mix well
- In a pan melt the coconut oil, add in the honey and cinnamon.
- Stir well until combined.
- Add this mixture to the dried ingredients and mix well, ensuring the nuts and seeds are well evenly coated
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Spread the mixture onto the baking tray
- Bake at 200 degrees for around 15 minutes, Stir the mix every 5 minutes
- Remove from the oven and stir again, allow to cool at room temperature
- Serve with yoghurt, milk or fresh fruit.
- This mix will keep up to 7 days in an air tight container